So Dog had an appointment today with the vet to get her yearly vaccinations and this was the first time we had been to this vet (because of our recent move). My family’s usual vet is located in Whitby and we had been using him for years. While I would have liked to continue with the same vet I’ve always used an hour drive is not reasonable for most vet needs. So we are trying out a new vet.

Dog went in today to get a check up and shots – she didn’t end up getting her shots 😦

Vet said she had a minor ear infection and didn’t want to give her shots today… Anyone ever had a problem like this before? Of all the years I’ve had dogs my vet had never had a problem giving our dog’s their boosters if they had an ear infection or something else minor going on. The vet did say her ear infection isn’t bad so I don’t understand the problems… anyway we now have to postpone a camping trip which I am not too thrilled about because Dog’s vaccines haven’t been given and she can’t go until they have been done which the vet won’t do for another 2 weeks and after a round of medication has been completed (and of course we have to pay to have another check up plus the vaccines then)

I understand that vaccines can be hard on a dog’s immune system and they shouldn’t be sick etc prior to receiving vaccines but is this much caution necessary? More so since these aren’t new vaccines to her system just a regular annual booster and she has no past history of bad reactions to vaccinations.

I’m just confused… is this a standard practice? Was my old vet unusual or is the new vet taking the overly cautious route? Anyone have any thoughts?


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s